Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Missing PS file Icons

Recently, for no apparent reason when I went to open a psd file from Photoshop I noticed all my psd icons had been replaced by generic icons.

Raw files, jpgs, ai, etc. still retain their icons, it's only the psd files.

Everything still works normally except that the files now organize themselves differently (raw, psd and jpgs with the same name used to stay together- now the psd's go to the end of the list in the folder). Any suggestions as to what may have happened?

Missing PS file Icons

What folder are you looking in? The OS folder? All PSD file icons located in a folder on the OS will have the generic blue small letter PSD with a bigger Ps. This has changed for you?

You may have somehow changed how the folder sorts. If you have Vista 64 bit and your pictures are in the Pictures folder there are all sorta of options to change how the pictures in the folder are listed.

Missing PS file Icons

I'm looking in every folder where I have pictures that I took with my digital camera, worked on and saved as psd files. Yes, I used to see the little blue icons with the P. Now the psd files have generic file icons (I don't know what else to call them).

I have Windows XP and I've tried every option I can think of. The P shows up as an option I can choose but it never shows up after I choose it. Luckily everything still functions normally.

Thanks for your response. Is there any other forum that would be helpful?

Try right clicking on the icon and choose properties. You should see something like ''opens with'' and it should say Adobe Photoshop (with the version). If not change it to photoshop.

Right-click %26gt;properties is what I was referring to when I mentioned options. I choose the version or even another version (I have PS CS), but when I go to open file- no PS icon, only generic in both cases.

There is another way to try it too.

Right click on a PSD icon and this time just choose open with. A box should open up with a list of recommended programs. Select photoshop or if not listed Select browse.

With the selected program highlighted look for a check box that reads ''Always use the selected program to open this kind of File'' and ensure there is a check mark there.

I tried that , too. When I choose either version of PS it will open the file no problem, but the icon remains generic.

Yes, that is where I am looking. All psd file icons in every folder have

been replaced by generic icons (the small blue ones with the P and the CS

ones with the feather). I have Windows XP. By the way, I appreciate all the

time you are taking to offer solutions.

I am wondering if it has to do with some security setting not allowing the icon to change. I don't have XP but the security settings tab is on the same window that you have been opening. The only thing not checked is special permissions on mine. All 3 groups have the same security setting on mine too.

After that I am out of ideas. Maybe someone else will chime in later.

One last observation: I have since loaded Illustrator and the icon for that program shows up normally so I suspect it's not a Windows issue but something that went awry within the PS programs. Fortunately it is an annoyance but nothing that gets in the way of my functioning of the program. If I reinstall, is it necessary to do anything beyond uninstall?

Just make sure you deactivate the software before you uninstall. Then of course update.

No comments:

Post a Comment