Friday, March 26, 2010

Gradient Eye-dropper

Before I post this as a feature request, can I ask if there's a way, currently, to閳ユ従ow do I say閳ユ悞ample a gradient? That is, similar to the eye-dropper tool, is there a way to select a starting point and an ending point of a gradient and then *have* that gradient now as your own? So you can create new ones based on the same gradient that you see in a photo or something?

Gradient Eye-dropper

Yes.

Use the gradient editor:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7 7e1a.html

Gradient Eye-dropper

I'm not sure I was clear enough or maybe I don't understand the gradient editor to the extent that it would fulfill my request.

Let me try to elaborate here. Take this photo, for example...

OK, say I want the gradient in that photo, but it's more complex than just a starting and ending color and I'm not sure *exactly* where the intermediate colors should be placed, right?

So, in my mind, I envision a tool with an ability such that you could select sort of a gradient eye-dropper tool, click and hold in the center part of the gradient where it's bright yellow, then drag my mouse to the burnt orange part.

The tool would *read* all of the in-between colors and calculate where exactly they should be placed. You feel me?

Are you saying the gradient editor allows me to do this? Because I see that as more of a manual way of doing this.

I'd say that's a feature request.

Of course you can always copy out a slice, blur it a bit (you don't want the requested auto-tool sampling those compression rings, right?), set the ruler to percentages and start dropping points in the gradient editor.

Are you going to mask out the kid's head for the auto-tool? Do you want the tool to replicate that banding at one end, or do its best to smooth it out? What about the fact that the lightest part of the grad is probably hidden behind that noggin? Ideally the tool would have answers for these type of scenarios and more... I suppose the Illy-style gradient tool would help a lot, as you could more quickly communicate to the machine what you're after. Just dragging out a line won't cut it, me thinks.

Maybe you could use Andromeda's Measurment tool:

http://andromeda.com/main/measurement.php

Or maybe not :/

J Maloney wrote:

I'd say that's a feature request.

I deserve ten points for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment