Sunday, March 28, 2010

Seperating an image into red, green,...

Hello,

I am trying to seperate an image into its individual red, green, blue, and black images so that I can print it with a particular press.

Whenever I select only one layer, lets say red, it turns the entire image into a gray-scaled image, I can copy this layer to a new document, but then once it is there, I have no idea how to convert it so that it appears red with the same opacity that the gray-scaled image has.

Also, the green channel that it is giving me appears to be the magenta channel, red the cyan channel, and blue the yellow channel.

I am getting this whenever I deleted one of the layers on a duplicated image, and it conversely changes them into CMYK colors, I am sort of confused here.

I need to have these in order to print,

thanks for help in advance.

Seperating an image into red, green,... I am trying to seperate an image into its individual red, green, blue,
and black images so that I can print it with a particular press.Seperating an image into red, green,...

Thanks you cleared out the difference between layers and channels for me, but I am still stuck with a red channel that I would think is more of a blue channel.

I was trying to follow your steps and I am not sure what you mean by rinse, could you explain that more.

the reason it looks like a different channel is because the parts of my image that are originally red apear faint on the red channel ( when I talk about the red channel I mean the same is going on with the rest). then after applying the red layer it just makes everything a red tink, with the previous blue parts of my image being completely dark.

thanks for helping me out.

hey there havocmacker,

this question is a bit tricky to answer

first off, you say you need individual red, green, blue and black images for a particular press...

that inandofitself is most interesting

the rest of what you describe seems fairly normal...

when we print to commercial presses using CMYK seperations, each of the seperate plates [images] is infact a grayscale image which is printed in the corresponding color ink, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow or Black

If you truly want seperate images for Red, Green and Blue... this too is doable... however, the Black image you ask for is something altogether a different issue [perhaps the Lightness Channel from a copy of your image converted to LAB Color would do---use the same steps as below to get that one]

try going to the Channels Panel閳ユ攼ne by one閳ユ攬ighlight or select each individual Channel and in the Panel's drop-down menu choose Duplicate Channel, for the 'destination' choose New Document... that new document will appear in Grayscale as a Multichannel document which you can convert to Grayscale [Image%26gt;Mode%26gt;Grayscale]... then, the Grayscale image can be converted to the corresponding color [RGB] by converting yet again to a Monotone color?[Image%26gt;Mode%26gt;Duotone]... in the Duotone Options dialog, double click the Ink 1 thumbnail and choose your color from the Select Ink Color dialog.

once again, interesting question

though it reads like a mistake, the objective is doable as I described

cheers~

Thank you so much I have been trying for a few days now to do this.

I recently started working on a small project of ours and I found out that what I thought was going on was different than reality.

So we have three seperate ribbons, red, green, and blue I assumed we also had a black, if I had thought it through it should be white lol. But what we are doing is running a press that has seperate ribbons, we have to run it through once for each ribbon. They have not yet begun to mix colors, instead only printing simple images that are seperate parts of either red, green, or blue. So I was trying to figure out how to mix these together when we were not even doing that. This is for a press that prints on top of RFID tags, or electronic barcodes that you can peel and stick onto what ever it is you would like.

Today I learned what was going on and the point of this thread was to figure out how to seperate into the different channels, which will be easy to do in CMYK colors as well, now I just gotta test out mixing with RGB colors to show it can be done, so we don't need to buy 3 million different ribbons to do the job.

thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment