Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I moved a NEF file to a new folder and...

I moved a NEF file to a new folder and now I can't open the file

I moved a NEF file to a new folder and...

Try moving it back to the old folder then.

I moved a NEF file to a new folder and...

If you moved it outside of Bridge you may have seperated it from its XMP file that holds the RAW edit data.?This is a hiddedn file but can be viewed with Windows Explorer.

When I try to move the files back to the original folder I get an error message ''cannot move (file name).?Access is denied.?Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.''?As far as I can tell none of these conditions is being violated.

I'm sorry but what is ''Bridge''?

I googled the problem but there just too many options to list.

Here are two sites to get you going.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/267814

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

Bridge is the file management browser for Photoshop.?If you moved an edited NEF flie with say Windows Explorer it may not move the XMP sidecar file that holds the edits to that image.?Not all images create an XMP file, depends on what metadata is needed to be stored.

It shoud still open as normal, just may not show the edits.

If you are moving file to an external drive one can run into permissioning problems.

Neither of these solved the problem but thanks for the effort. What exactly

did you google to get these sites?

I typed in - cannot move file access is denied. As you type you will see lots of choices to choose from. I didn't type in NEF.

bjcalgary22 wrote:

Neither of these solved the problem but thanks for the effort.?What exactly

did you google to get these sites?

Thanks for your emails. They got me thinking and I finally figured out the

problem. I went to the properties of the files and the security information

was different than other files. I had to reset myself as the administrator

with full security access.

I have resolved my problem. Thanks for your responses. This is the first

time I have used the forum and it was a very effective way to get some

valuable assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment