Friday, March 26, 2010

Can't print to pdf since I installed...

I make newspaper ads all the time in Illustrator CS4 on a Mac.

I always print them to pdf files. Never had any trouble doing this.

However, since I installed Snow Leopard I can not print to pdfs.

I go through the usual motions and then... just nothing happens.

Are there known issues with AI CS4 and Snow Leopard?

Can't print to pdf since I installed...

You might try looking at the Acrobat forum. Basically 10.6 has done away with the PDF printer.

Can't print to pdf since I installed...

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Though I suspect there will be many there who aren't familiar with Illustrator. I just don't get how the OS would prevent an Adobe program from creating a PDF file unless there's a glitch. In the meantime I guess I'll have to make EPSes and then use Distiller. Thanks again.

Are you saying that you can no longer Save as a PDF from AI? That shouldn't have changed. The only difference is that now you will have to use the Save As Adobe PDF from the PDF tab in the Print dialog instead of using the Adobe PDF Printer.

I don't have a PDF tab in my AI dialog box. I can go to File/Save As and do it that way. Is that what you mean? Well I just tried that and it seems to work okay. I'm not totally convinced it's following my newsprint preset completely. I just noticed the Preserve Editability check box which I turned off. I guess I'll just have to get used to using this instead of the print dialog. Either way, you got me back on my feet again. Thank you.

You're welcome. If you will be round-triping files into InDesign or the like then you might want the AI Editing capabilities left on.

I was having the same problem. Basically, you now have to ''save as'' then ''to PDF'' to get the same results. Although this new method give you more choices in terms of output, i.e. saving layers, image resolution, it has also produced larger PDF files. I will then have to open the document in Acrobat and ''reduce file size''. I do wish they would bring back the print to PDF option. Go to the link below to read more. If you figure out how to produce the same results and get the small files sizes back please share.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/files/Adobe-SnowLeopard_FAQ.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment