Friday, March 26, 2010

Scanners

not sure if this is the place for it, but...

Can someone tell me, other than DPI, and speed, why one 11x17 scanner would cost $150 and another would cost 1200?

Scanners

Quality of scan which usually relates to the cost of the scanning lens. Same reason why some cameras cost $129 and others $2500. The lens is the price decider.

Having said that, you can get an excellent 11 x 17 under $1000. The Epson Perfections in particular are very good. It's what I have though mine only does letter size. I paid around $350 a few years back. 11 x 17 scanners in general are much higher than letter size scanners. Much as I wanted the larger scanner, I don't do enough scans in a year to justify the cost. I use my camera to shoot larger pieces but then there is a lot of back end work in PS to fix the image.

Scanners

Dmax is my number one deciding factoid.?But, just as important is size of original, max dpi and the ability to scan transparencies and negatives.?Typically, a scanner that can deliver a Dmax of 3.8-4.0 is ideal and well worth the money.?Unfortunately, it's hard to prove the Dmax until you put the scanner through a few courses.?A good drum scanner is a better bet than a flatbed.?I experience distortions, Dmax of 2.0-2.4, and vibration noise with inexpensive scanners.?You shouldn't experience any of that with a drum.

John Danek wrote:

Dmax is my number one deciding factoid.?But, just as important is size of original, max dpi and the ability to scan transparencies and negatives.?Typically, a scanner that can deliver a Dmax of 3.8-4.0 is ideal and well worth the money.?Unfortunately, it's hard to prove the Dmax until you put the scanner through a few courses.?A good drum scanner is a better bet than a flatbed.?I experience distortions, Dmax of 2.0-2.4, and vibration noise with inexpensive scanners.?You shouldn't experience any of that with a drum.

I don't want to say drum scanners have gone the way of film camera's but they're close behind. The overwhelming majority of studios I know of use flatbeds. It would have to be a mighty high end client to justify sending out anything for a drum scan these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment