Sunday, March 28, 2010

Premiere CS4 with XDCAM files in MOV...

Hi. I am using a JVC HM700 camera. This camera shoots in 35 mbit XDCAM EX format.?The XDCAM footage is ''wrapped'' in a MOV file . To have an MP4 (Sony standard wrapper) I need to plug an SxS recorder on the back that activates the codc/wrapper option in the camera's menu. Also Sony standard files come with a single folder for every clip (holds metadata) . For these two reasons I really prefer to work with the MOV wrapper. Quality is exactly the same (it's an XDCAM EX) but it's all much easier. Now.. while Final Cut can edit realtime these clips (actually they worked with JVC in developing the camera) I cannot do the same in Premiere. Premiere will work in realtime with MP4 wrapped XDCAM but not with MOV wrapped XDCAM. in fact I get the ''yellow line'' above my footage in the timeline and playback jitters... So my question... Is Adobe going to support MOV wrapped XDCAM EX 35 Mbit files in the future? Or is there some plugin around? Thanks, Marcello

Premiere CS4 with XDCAM files in MOV...

That is a question only Adobe can answer and since this is a user-to-user forum you'll not likely get an answer here.

MOV is a wrapper as is MP4. Have you tried searching for a converter from MOV to MP4?

Premiere CS4 with XDCAM files in MOV...

Marcello,

Check out this thread for some more information and a link to a program that will losslessly rewrap the XDCAM stream from an MOV to an MPG. Here's the website translated via Google (original is in German).

I just tested it out on an HM700 clip I downloaded, and the MPG imports into Premiere perfectly; plays back in an XDCAM EX sequence preset without a yellow or red line.

I doubt Adobe will support the MOV-wrapped files from this camera; as you mentioned, it was specifically developed with Apple to work with FCP. I think the odds of Adobe offering MOV support for this camera are extremely slim. But hey--you never know...

The JVC camera is a nice camera.?Premiere Pro does not currently natively support the .mov version of XDCAM EX developed by JVC.

One recent development though is that the 700 cameras are now shipping with the native XDCAMEX option as standard.?This used to be a $600 extra.?So, with PRemiere Pro CS4, you can use the true native XDCAM files and not have to worry about.

Also Sony standard files come with a single folder for every clip (holds metadata) .

Thanks Colin, this seems a very usefull tool (and it's free!). The only thing.. I'm a Mac user and it seems to be only for the PC world! ?I wrote to the guy.. let's see what he says.

Thanks Dradeke. I allready have the extra SxS recorder that activates the MP4 function. It was part of the bundle when I bought the camera. I still think MOV is a much better to handle format. I know Adobe provides a clip manager but working with different clients that have different needs (one wants me to use FC, another one wants the footage for him to select, etc..) the single file MOV is really much more easy to handle.
Thinking about file formats.. Adobe is also missing a realtime Pro-Res playback. I know also this format is developed by Apple for Final Cut but still.. if Adobe decided to come back in the Mac World.. they'll have to accept this ''standard''. At present Adobe has no ''in house'' not compressed codec to work with (like Cineform.. but this is an expensive plugin). Once I converted footage to P2 to work with it in real ''realtime''.

Personally, I think this whole issue would be nicely resolved if only the camera makers could knock off this proprietary crap and just use the MXF format in the way it was intended - a single file holds video, audio, timecode and other metadata.?The platform agnostic AVI/MOV container of choice for the new digital millennium.

  • philosophy
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment