Sunday, April 4, 2010

CS3 (on Windows 7) upgrade to CS4

Hello -

I currently have CS3 Master Collection running on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate RC. I know that CS3 is not certified to run on 64bit systems and yes I know that my version of Win 7 is a beta build.

So my question is:

- Once I get the *real* Win 7 OS later this month, would it be ok to install CS3 on there and then the upgrade to CS4?

...or

- Should I install a Win XP 32bit OS, install CS3, upgrade to CS4, then upgrade to Win 7?

I realize any which way I go, I'll have to de-activate, wipe clean the HDD, and then reinstall with whichever methods you experts recommend. Or maybe some other way you all can think of that I may not be seeing here.

CS3 (on Windows 7) upgrade to CS4

Your best and maybe only approach is to reformat your disk and do a clean install of Win7. I think you can not upgrade from a beta to the final version.

CS3 (on Windows 7) upgrade to CS4

Simply reformat your system partition while installing?Win7, then install CS4 products.

No need for XP or CS3.

Less upgrading - less problems.

I agree with the above.?When Win7 comes out, you'll have to do a clean install.?So you may as well just load up CS4 and leave CS3 out of it.

It's what I did.

Here are my PPBM scores for all three OS's under identical hardware conditions, as you can see below.?Win 7 is a definite win for Premiere Pro CS4!?These numbers shown are averages of many (%26gt;10) repeated runs.?For these benchmarks of course lower means faster--better.

I understand your point here BUT.....

....your method that you are describing sounds to me like I have to purchase a FULL CS4 version rather than an upgrade version....correct? Or does the upgrade version just need the serial / registration / activation number, code or whatever from my current CS3 and not necessarily be installed?

So here's what I was thinking that I could do:

- Buy Win7

- Install on new HDD

- Install CS3

- Buy CS4 (UPGRADE Version)

- Install it

- Start using it!!

Your thoughts?

No need to install CS3, just have the serial number ready or the original disk when asked for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment