Sunday, April 4, 2010

Beware - Elements (8.0) Auto Analyzer...

I've just discovered the CPU-intensive program ''Elements Auto Analyzer'' runs automatically when I turn on my PC.?I only realised when I saw all four cores running at 25% or so when nothing should have been happening at all.

I'm not sure whether there's a way to prevent that happening other than to hit it with a hammer, but using ''Autoruns'' from www.sysinternals.com you can untick it from the ''Logon'' tab.

I really hate programs that swamp my PC without asking me.?I have no desire at all for ''Elements Auto Analyzer'' to run under any circumstances.

I'm still finding that the main program (adobe premiere elements) itself never closes when I exit and I have to kill it using the task manager.?I shall probably write my own utility to prevent that happening and if others are having the same problem I'll upload it somewhere.

Grrrr!!

Beware - Elements (8.0) Auto Analyzer...

I have now discovered how to stop the auto analyzer running on startup - you have to run Premiere Elements, choose ''Organize'', choose ''Organizer'', choose ''Edit %26gt; Preferences'' and choose ''Auto-Analyzer Options''.?There you can untick ''Run Analyzer on Start Up'' (and you might want to untick ''Analyze All Media in Catalog Automatically''.?Then click ''OK''.

However, you are then confronted with a dialog box titled ''Missing Sender E-mail Address'' which reads ''Please enter your E-mail address''.?Click OK, and you find yourself in a dialog labelled ''Sharing'' in which you are required to enter your name and your email address.

Unless you do this, you cannot turn off the Auto-Analyzer through the program.

I have to say I think this is extremely poor.?I shall be requesting an explanation from Adobe.?Sure, I could probably put in some rubbish there, in fact I'll have to in order to stop the program eating my PC on startup, but I have never come across this kind of requirement to enter personal details to avoid programs compulsorily running.?For the moment I've not entered any details requested - and I can see from ''Autoruns'' that the Auto Analyzer has been forcibly re-enabled to run on startup.?Great.?And it's running again right away.?So I'll have to call up the task manager to kill it.

Beware - Elements (8.0) Auto Analyzer...

Ozpeter

I have not gotten a chance to look at the issue that you present and try it, but does disabling the feature at the Organizer level (see AutoAnalyzer tab at bottom of Elements Organizer) have any impact on what you are experiencing? I will try looking at this as soon as I can.

I had to disable that AutoAnlyzer feature in Premiere Elements 8 because it kept automatically spliting my video into clips when I did not want that to happen. However, you can still right click you media in the Organizer and select Run AutoAnalyzer.

For quite some time (before Premiere Elements 8), I have been running my WIndows XP SP3 with all the Start Up programs off, except Microsoft Services.

ATR

I'm not seeing the tab you refer to (''AutoAnalyzer tab at bottom of Elements Organizer'') - maybe having now turned it off in the options (by giving rubbish answers to the compulsory questions) that tab has gone.

Ozpeter

The tab to which I referred is at the bottom of the Elements Organizer window in the gray bar just above the Start bar. The row starts with ''My Catalog and continues with ''...items dated...'' and follows with an icon for signing into account and the AutoAnalyzer tab.

BUT, forget about that. Instead, Elements Organizer, Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options. That AutoAnalyzer Options dialog has more options than just On and Off.

ATR

Ozpeter,

I've read the entire thread (to date), but am doing my reply here - your initial post.

Personally, I find this scary. As with you, I do not want modules going rogue on me. I go so far as to turn OFF any/all auto-update ''features'' in every program, that I install. I also turn OFF, when possible, the ''look for updates and await your input.'' I will update any/everything at my leisure, not some timer in some program. I lost an entire new installation on a brand new workstation, because Logitec Set-Point decided to update during the installation of an NLE. When it did this, I lost my entire OS, plus all programs. It even killed Ghost, and System Restore. It killed my LAN and rendered one of my NIC connections unusable. It cost me a new MoBo, a complete low-level reformat of the system HDD and a week of lost installations! Guess which program will NEVER be on any computer, even if I use Logitec devices.

Now, from your and ATR's comments, I am still not certain what this ''utiltiy'' does, but it seems to analyze AV Assets and then attempt to automatically do something like Scene Detection. Is that correct?

I cannot imagine what Adobe was thinking with this. I have to admit that I do not use Organize/Organizer in my PrE 4 installation, so there could be things, even back then, that I am just unaware of. I use Bridge (from my CS2 Production Studio Premium) instead. Maybe I am just in the dark on what Organize/Organizer did, and certainly do not know what the newer versions might now do.

Still, and it's not yet hear Halloween, I am scared - very scared. Maybe I should be glad that I only have PrE 4. All it did was kill CS2 Production Stuido and all of its apps. on installation. A Repair Install fixed those. Gonna' keep what I've got, and keep reading of your trials and tribulations.

Thank you for reporting. You and ATR are doing a great service to all PrE users.

Hunt

Hi Hunt,

This 'Organizer' thing is a new feature in PE8 - it's one of the main new features in fact, but personally I don't use that sort of thing.?I'm probably becoming an aged reactionary but I'm not keen on the trend for software to hold your hand and do everything for you like it or not.?I prefer to take charge, and when I make mistakes that perhaps the program would not have made, I learn from them and thereby improve myself.?If features like this have to be included, at least make it necessary to activate them rather than having them switched on by default (and as far as I'm aware, I never turned this stuff on).

I have this mental picture of PCs worldwide being brought to their knees by AVCHD Background Rendering, Auto Analyzing, and the program not terminating on exit, all happening at once..

I have this mental picture of PCs worldwide being brought to their knees by AVCHD Background Rendering, Auto Analyzing, and the program not terminating on exit, all happening at once..

No comments:

Post a Comment